Four Ways to Manage an Over Abundance of Backyard Produce
- Canning - A great way to preserve many types of produce. Just ensure you use safe practices to prevent microorganisms from taking over your food.
- Freezing - good for whole fruits, berries and vegetables. Either lay out on a tray for freezing before packaging or just add directly to a container and pop in the freezer.
- Pickling - Is not just for cucumbers. Can be used to preserve zucchini, bell peppers, green beans, cauliflower and many more vegetables.
- Drying - There are a few different ways to dry fresh herbs. You can hang them, or use a dehydrated or even your microwave.
- Donating - Take your extra produce to your local food bank. Some organizations will even come and pick it up.
"Paddle To The Fire"
It's been 4 years since the historic Parry Sound 33 Wildfire. Starting on July 18th, 2018, this fire burned for more than 3 months before being extinguished. Since we are now in forest fire season we thought we would share this insightful video about the impacts of Parry Sound 33 and how a group of students from McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario are working to mitigate long lasting damage.
To watch this video click here: Paddle To The Fire